Due to the current situation, the University of Stuttgart has decided to license the cloud service "Cisco Webex" for use by all employees and all students.
The current license runs until March 2022, and Webex Teams can also be used within the scope of the currently available licenses.
A Clinet for Linux is scheduled for May 2021.
Please note that in case of a possible non-renewal of the licensing, the Webex Teams accounts will revert to the free "Free WebEx Team Clients". This means that only three participants can join a video meeting, chat rooms cannot be locked and the available storage space is smaller. There is no guarantee that existing configurations and shared documents will be preserved after the licensed period.
From this point of view and also due to data protection aspects we further recommend to exchange internal documents if possible via the services Exchange, Ilias or F*EX, which are operated by the TIK, or via the bw-service bwSync&Share.
Further information of RUS-CERT: Use of Cloud-based services (DE)
Webex Online Trainings, Open Consultation Hours and Support
The TIK holds weekly online trainings in German and English to train the use of Webex. For questions and problems our eScouts also offer a public consultation hour.
Webex as a participant
No registration or additional authorization is required for participants of a conference, regardless of whether they are university internal or external persons! Only if you invite to a conference, something needs to be set up for you. You then assume the host role.
Webex as a host
To use the service as a conference host, register yourself as a moderator. To do so, log in at siam.uni-stuttgart.de. Switch to the "WEBEX" tab.
Please note: You will be shown your primary e-mail address, which you must use to log in after registering at unistuttgart.webex.com. Complete the registration by clicking "Account anlegen".
- Visit unistuttgart.webex.com
- At the top right of the browser, click the "Sign In" button and select "Webex" from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your primary e-mail address in the login screen. This can be queried in SIAM and set if necessary.
- You will then be taken to another login screen.
Enter your login data in the following form:
- "Nutzerkennung": Your user account (e.g. employees: ac123456; students: st123456)
- "Passwort": Your personal password
- After successful registration you are in your personal room. Here you can manage your meetings, join scheduled meetings and more
The following other Webex products are available:
- Events: For lectures with more than 100 participants Webex Events can be a suitable tool. You can find more information in the Webex Events Documentation.
Please note: Since with such a high number of participants, barriers of individual participants can neither be excluded nor removed quickly enough, we advise against this scenario.
- Support: For remote-support you can always use Webex Support. You can find more information in the Webex Support Documentation.